Thursday, September 6, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: “Keep my commands and live”

Proverbs 7:1-5:

My son, keep my words, And treasure my commands within you.
Keep my commands and live, And my law as the apple of your eye.
Bind them on your fingers; Write them on the tablet of your heart.
Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” And call understanding your nearest kin,
That they may keep you from the immoral woman, From the seductress who flatters with her words.

The admonition given in the first few verses of Proverbs 7 is clear: cherish and love commands and law.  I like the reasons given here for keeping commands: to live; and also, for keeping wisdom and understanding close: to keep one from the immoral woman. My thoughts on this passage are twofold: first, I need to remember my motivation for the instruction that I give my children: so that they can live and avoid sin; ultimately leading lives that will get them to heaven. Secondly, I need to have patience when instructing my children. Although I don’t believe I have to explain the reasoning every little decision and instruction I give my children, there are times that I need to explain my instruction to them. As a child it can be difficult at times to see the necessity and love of laws and commands. I need to be able to put myself into my children’s situation and have patience with them.

More Parenting from Proverbs