Friday, September 7, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: The Love of Wisdom

Proverbs 8:32-36:

Now therefore, listen to me [wisdom], my children, For blessed are those who keep my ways.
Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain it.
Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at the posts of my doors.
For whoever finds me finds life, And obtains favor from the Lord;
But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul; All those who hate me love death.

You cannot read through the book of Proverbs without seeing the emphasis placed on wisdom. In fact, although I only quoted a few verses above from Proverbs 8, the entire chapter is focused on wisdom. Previously I considered the need for me, as a parent, to seek wisdom and counsel in parenting. However, I need to not only seek wisdom, but teach my children to love and seek wisdom.

My children need to know the importance of seeking and loving wisdom. They need to know that wisdom is something they should strive towards daily as Proverbs 8:34 states: “Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.” They need to understand that they should be actively following after godly wisdom, and that godly wisdom is found in God’s Word. I need to encourage my children to be lovers of godly wisdom.

More parenting from Proverbs