Monday, September 17, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: The Eyes of the Lord

Proverbs 15:3:

The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Keeping watch on the evil and the good.

I have to teach my children about the characteristics of God. One of those characteristics is the fact that He sees everything: His eyes are in every place (Proverbs 15:3). We cannot hide our actions or our thoughts from God: He knows and sees all. Even if my children think they may be able to hide something from me (and I’m sure at times they will(, they need to remember that God still sees them. Our actions ought to reflect the fact that God sees all.

However, beyond reminding them that God sees all to deter them from doing wrong, I ought to remind them on the positive side: He sees when we do good and obey Him too. Consider Noah’s example found in Genesis 6:7-9: “7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.”

More parenting from Proverbs