Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: A Good Name

Proverbs 22:1:

A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches,
Loving favor rather than silver and gold.

There is great value in having a good name; great value in having a good reputation. Proverbs 22:1 states that “a good name is to be chosen rather than great riches.” As part of my physical family, the way I live my life reflects upon my family’s name. As part of my spiritual family, the way I live my life also reflects on my family’s name: the church of Christ. Being blessed to be part of both my physical and spiritual families comes with the responsibility of upholding their names. My responsibility includes starting my children out with a good name by my actions and my life. I need to teach my children the importance of having a good name; but more importantly, the importance of living their lives in such a way that they have a good name. It isn’t about “putting on a show” for others so that they think you are something you are not. It is about living a genuine life in faithfulness to God in which other people are treated, among many other things, with kindness, love, and respect.

More parenting from Proverbs