Thursday, September 13, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: Guarding the Mouth

Proverbs 13:2-3:

A man shall eat well by the fruit of his mouth,
But the soul of the unfaithful feeds on violence.
 He who guards his mouth preserves his life,
But he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction.

The book of Proverbs has much to say about one’s speech. Obviously, how we use our words is very important. We can build up with our words; we can tear down with our words. We can tell others about Jesus with our words; we can destroy Jesus with our words. We can speak the truth with our words; we can spread lies with our words. Our words are very powerful. Teaching my children about their words is an important task that I have as their parent. Teaching my children about their words starts now when they are little. I must encourage the truth. I must encourage kindness. I must encourage talking about Jesus and spiritual things. I must discourage lies and hatred. And, at all times, I must look to myself, and make sure my words follow after righteousness.

More parenting from Proverbs