Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: Integrity

Proverbs 11:1-3:

Dishonest scales are an abomination to the Lord,But a just weight is His delight.
When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.
The integrity of the upright will guide them, But the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them.

In many of these studies from Proverbs, my first thought is “in a world lacking in ___________ characteristic, I need to teach my children to have ________  characteristic.” Today’s study is no different. In a world that seems to greatly lack in integrity, I need to teach my children integrity. In a world that glorifies lying, especially when it helps someone get ahead, I have to emphasize the fact that there is no glory in lying. My children need to be of sound moral character – a sound moral character that is founded on God’s Word. They need to value honesty and the truth. They need to know that there is a right way, and that we are called to live our lives in accordance to that right way. As Proverbs 3:5-8 states: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones.”

More parenting from Proverbs