Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: Quarrels

Proverbs 17:14:

The beginning of strife is like releasing water;
Therefore stop contention before a quarrel starts.

If anything has been trying my patience lately, it has been the little bickering that has been going on between Ella and Troy. They don’t dislike each other; in fact, they want to be around each other (most of the time anyway), but they don’t get how to get along with one another. I get that they are still very young, and really have very little concept of how to get along with others (well, particularly Troy). Proverbs 17:14 reminds me that I personally need to stop contention before a quarrel starts, but that I need to encourage and teach my children  to not be quarrelsome. Don’t get me wrong: I know there are times when arguments and discussions are going to take place and need to take place. However, I also know that some people always seem to be looking for a fight or are always difficult to get along with because they have those types of attitudes. I don’t want to be that way, and I certainly don’t want my children to be the ones that everyone has to tip toe around because they are hard to get along with or because they are always trying to stir up something. I want my children to have the wisdom to be peacemakers, not the foolishness of ones who stir up strife.

More parenting from Proverbs