Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: The Motivation for Correction

Proverbs 3:11-12:

My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor detest His correction;

For whom the Lord loves He corrects,
Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

“For whom the Lord loves He corrects, Just as a Father the son in whom he delights.” This verse is such a great encouragement and reminder to me about the reason for discipline and correction. As a parent, I correct my children because I love them; because I delight in my children. And, although I know these are reasons that I correct my children, it can be very discouraging and tiring to correct my children from day-to-day. There are days where I feel like every minute of my day is correcting my children in one form or another. Ultimately, though, I correct them because I love them; because I want to see them do right; because I want them to obey the Gospel when they are older; and because I want them to spend eternity in heaven.

More Parenting from Proverbs