Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hiding the Word in Their Hearts

One of my favorite passages of Scripture is Psalm 119. This Psalm highlights and exalts God’s Word. and shows the great love and respect the Psalmist had for God’s law. I read portions of this passage often to remind me of the desire I should have for the Word of God.

I have mentioned several times that I think there is no greater task to me as a parent than to raise my children in the Lord. Part of that training involves instilling in them a love and longing for the Word of God. That training begins with a knowledge of God’s Word.

I plan to start preparing lessons to teach my children the Bible (of course, right now these lessons would be directed toward Ella since Troy is still so young). I’m hoping to use my blog as a way to not only save these lessons, but also share them with anyone else who might be interested. My thought, at least for now, is to call these lessons “Hiding The Word In Their Hearts” generally taken from Psalm 119:11. I am excited to begin digging into God’s Word for the specific purpose of teaching my children. I know that I will grow as I meditate on His Word.

Psalm 119:9-12

How can a young man cleanse his way?

By taking heed according to Your word.

With my whole heart I have sought You.

Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!

Your word I have hidden in my heart,

That I might not sin against You.

Blessed are You, O LORD!

Teach me Your statutes.