Monday, October 1, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: Self Control

Proverbs 25:28:

Whoever has no rule over his own spirit
Is like a city broken down, without walls.

Once again in my study, although I need to teach my children to have self control, I feel like I need to reflect on the wisdom of this passage personally.  I think it boils down to the fact that I need to have more patience in my handlings with others, particularly with my children. I often let frustration overrun my attitude and my words rather than calmly handling a situation. Or, I let myself become completely run down with little things that turn into something bigger. And when it become something bigger, I don’t handle the situation like I ought. I need to have more self control and patience to not let the little things bother me so much. I also need to make sure that I’m promoting an attitude of selflessness. Sometimes when I struggle with patience and self control, I know it is because I’m not exhibiting a God-first, others-second, me-last attitude. I don’t want to be a city that is broken down without walls, but rather a stronghold for my home.

More parenting from Proverbs