Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: Knowing the state of my flocks

Proverbs 27:23-26:

Be diligent to know the state of your flocks, And attend to your herds;
For riches are not forever, Nor does a crown endure to all generations.
When the hay is removed, and the tender grass shows itself, And the herbs of the mountains are gathered in,
The lambs will provide your clothing, And the goats the price of a field;
You shall have enough goats’ milk for your food, For the food of your household,
And the nourishment of your maidservants.

Do I know the state of my flocks? Do I attend to my herds? Two pointed questions that I must seriously reflect upon. As the keeper of the home, I need to know the state of my flocks. I need to know how my children are growing up, what things they are struggling with, and what things they are excelling in. I need to know how they are growing physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I think there are two key words in verse 23: diligent and attend. First, knowing the state of my flocks isn’t something that just happens. I have to be diligent in knowing the state of my flocks, or, in other words, making a constant effort to know the state of my flocks. Secondly, I have to attend to my herds. I have to devote time to my children. I have to minister to my children. I have to guard and watch over my children. These are not easy tasks, and require hard work and dedication on my part.

And, although I’m specifically applying this passage to knowing the state of my children for this series, this passage goes beyond just knowing the state of my children. I need to know the state of my flocks in regards to many areas of the home, and I should always be diligently seeking to foster a godly home for my family.

More parenting from Proverbs

121003IMG_8493.jpg