Friday, October 12, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: Providing for the home

Proverbs 31:15:

She also rises while it is yet night,
And provides food for her household,
And a portion for her maidservants.

Proverbs 31:10-31, the section of Scripture about the virtuous wife, provides many lessons when it comes to parenting; however, I’m going to focus in a verse that characterizes an area in which I need encouragement. Proverbs 31:15 states that the worthy woman “rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household.” The encouragement I need from this verse is twofold: one, to always be working hard for my family, and two, to always be ready to provide for my family, even if it means that I need to rise while it is yet night. It can be very easy to fall into the trap of idleness around the home, and I don’t want to let that idleness rule the home. I want to be active in all aspects around the home, always being ready and willing to take on whatever challenge comes that day. And, beyond even being ready to take on the challenges of the day, to start each day out right: prepared to provide for all in my family.

More Parenting from Proverbs