Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Journeying to a Healthy Life: 2 Month Report

Two months ago I wrote about starting a new diet, well, actually about starting a new lifestyle in regards to forming healthy eating and exercising habits. I’m removing the word “diet” from my new venture because to me there is something that isn’t permanent about a diet – it is just an activity you do for a little while to produce desired effects. I don’t want to only do something for a little while. I want to make a serious lifestyle change that results in a lasting healthy lifestyle.

So, how have I done these past two months? Have I made any progress in the right direction? Overall, I definitely think I am moving in the right direction, but I’m not where I want to be yet.

I’ve lost about 8 lbs, which isn’t a lot, but it is something, especially for me. Most of the times I have tried to lose weight in the past, I’ve never even made it to 8 lbs before reverting back to the old bad habits. Combined with the fact that we’ve had Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s in the time I’ve been working on this new way of life, I’m certainly pleased with an 8 lb weight loss.

I’ve completed 4 weeks of the Couch to 5K program. Although I technically should have completed 7 or 8 weeks at this point (not really wanting to count it up right now), I’m excited that I’ve made it this far. I had a wicked cold/cough during December that prevented me from running (I have terrible asthmatic cough problems at times), but I’m back on track now that I’ve gotten past the cold. On top of completing those workouts, I can actually notice a difference in what I’m physically capable of completing. During the first week, I felt like I was going to die (well, almost) when I had to run for a minute and half. Yesterday, I was able to run for a total of 16 minutes – 2 3-segments, and 2 5-minute segments, which is good progress!

Finally, I feel like I’m slowly developing a better relationship with food. Two months ago, I was at a point where food controlled me. And, although I’m not 100% in control of the food in my life, I’m at a MUCH better place than I was two months ago. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed using the My Fitness Pal app, and I highly recommend it! The Couch to 5K app is also great.

No official after picture yet, but hopefully it’ll be coming in the next few months as I continue on my journey.