Thursday, April 5, 2012

Time is Valuable

Since about the beginning of March, I’ve felt like we’ve been going non-stop. Mostly the things that have kept us busy have been wonderful, exciting, important things. However, when we are SO busy I really start to evaluate my time more. Am I spending my time wisely? Am I spending my time on things that are important? Am I wasting time? Am I spending time on things that benefit my family? Am I spending time on things that distract me from my family?

I know that I waste a lot of time. Too much time. I spend too much time on things that don’t matter. Things that suck my precious time away – something that I can’t get back. I realize that in a lot of ways I really need to simplify my life so that I’m surrounded by less “time-wasters.” For instance, clearing out the lengthy list of blogs in my google reader. Don’t get me wrong – I love reading blogs, but I had a ton of blogs in my list that I never actually read anymore – some that I simply just clicked “next” on all the time. Sifting through the clutter of the blogs that I wasn’t reading anymore was taking away valuable time.

I also consider the amount of time I spend working on/cleaning up/organizing the house. There are so many things that we have in our house that we don’t even use or haven’t touched in a long time. I want to clear that stuff away. When it is cleared away, there will be fewer physical things that need to be cared for around the house – which is a great thing on many levels. I also need to keep up with my Flylady daily assignments, which really DO make my life simpler and help me be more efficient with the time I spend working around the house.

In our ladies class we’ve been studying through a book called Because I Said So by Celine Sparks. One of the points she brought out is that we often spend too much time trying to “find time” rather than making it a priority to get the things done we ought to do. When we try to “find time” we rarely actually find it because we haven’t made those things a priority. I can’t simply “find time” to study my Bible or “find time” to spend reading books to my children or “find time” to pray to God– I have to allocate time for those precious activities.

You didn’t need to read the title of my post or the content of this blog to know that time is valuable. But I needed the reminder to make the most of my time and to spend it wisely because it is valuable.