Monday, February 13, 2012

Journeying to a Health Life: 3 Month Report

It has been a little over 3 months since I committed to living a healthier life, and I’m excited to say that, so far, I’ve actually stayed pretty well on track! I’m finally getting to the point that eating healthier and exercising seem like a natural part of life. Staying within my calorie goals everyday isn’t a burden like it was in the beginning (I still remember those first few weeks feeling like I was going to starve!). Is it always easy? No. In fact, today has been one of those days where I haven’t done so well eating, but I’m ok with that because it isn’t my lifestyle to eat poorly anymore like it was before. {As a side note, mostly to myself, I suppose, I definitely get the urge to snack more when I have a lot of nervous energy . . .I probably should have put that energy into a workout instead of snacks!}

I’m down 14 pounds since November (9 since coming back from the Christmas holidays over which I had gained a bit back). Although I don’t really feel “skinnier,” I have finally been able to see some changes in how my clothes are fitting. I am down a pant size! It is great to have that kind of progress (even though I still have a long way to go).

I’ve also noticed a great improvement in my physical fitness/endurance. I’ve been completing the Couch to 5K program, and I’m a week and a half from finishing it. I can actually jog for 28 minutes without stopping, which is a HUGE accomplishment for this non-runner. Unfortunately, about a week and half ago I sprained my ankle (from being a clutz tripping down my front porch, not even jogging!) and I haven’t been able to jog since I hurt my ankle. I’m really hoping I’ll be able to pick back up on Wednesday. I was really, really bummed when I hurt my ankle. BUT, it has given me a great opportunity to make sure that my eating stays on track without burning extra calories from exercise, and I’ve actually done pretty well with that.

2 Month Report