Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Troy’s Lullaby

I’ve never been very fond of the traditional lullaby that I know. Something about the words isn’t very settling to me.

Rock a bye baby on the treetop

When the wind blows the cradle will rock

When the bow breaks the cradle will fall

And down will come cradle, baby and all.

Needless to say, although I sing a lot to my children, that isn’t one of the songs you’ll hear in our home. Instead, our home is generally filled with spiritual songs ranging from songs about prayer to creation to the Bible (Ella’s favorite right now is a song about Noah, Jonah, and Daniel).

110524IMG_3867.jpg

Singing definitely has a calming influence over Troy – he especially loves to hear me sing. Interestingly enough, Troy even has a favorite song – I call it his lullaby. He can be crying and terribly upset, and this song will often calm him down, even when other songs do not. We’ve even encouraged Ella enough to sing it to him that when he starts crying, she’ll often start singing his lullaby to him: “Jesus Loves Me.”

Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so

Little ones to Him belong,

We are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me.

Yes, Jesus loves me.

Yes, Jesus loves me.

The Bible tells me so.

Although it is just a simple tune, I appreciate the truths that I presented in it – especially the fact that we know these things because the Bible “tells us so.” I must always strive to do the things that God instructs through His Word, and remember that my knowledge of Him comes from His Word.