Monday, February 14, 2011

Hiding the Word in Their Hearts: Genesis 1-2 {Part 1}

Photobucket

Child’s Target Age: 2 years old

Bible Text: Genesis 1-2

Memory Verse:

Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

Key Lessons:

  • God is all powerful.
  • God is in control.
  • God made everything we can see and everything we cannot see.
  • God’s creation was good.
  • God created the earth in six literal days (consider how the days are defined in the passage – morning and night were day one, etc.)

Songs:

Days of Creation:

Day one, day one, God made light when there was none. (repeat)

Day two, day two, God made heaven and sky of blue. (repeat)

Day three, day three, God made flowers and grass and trees. (repeat)

Day four, day four, God made sun, moon, and stars galore. (repeat)

Day five, day five, God made birds and fish alive. (repeat)

Sixth day, sixth day, God made animals and man that day. (repeat)

Day seven, day seven, God rested in His heaven. (repeat)

Fuzzy Caterpillar:

Fuzzy caterpillar, climbed up in a tree!

He wiggled short, he wiggled long, he wiggled right at me!

I put him in a box. “Don’t you move!” I said.

But when I opened up the box, there was a butterfly instead.

Now I could never make one, even if I tried.

Cuz’ only God in heaven can make a butterfly!

Genesis 1:1 (to tune of “Are You Sleeping”):

In the beginning, in the beginning,

God created, God created,

The heavens and the earth, the heavens and the earth.

Genesis one-one, Genesis one-one.

My God is So Big

My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do!

My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do.

The mountains are His, the valleys are His, the trees are His handiwork too.

My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do!

Activities:

  • Creation Cards (from Apologetics Press) to reiterate that God made everything. I really love these cards from Apologetic Press – great quality and beautiful pictures, but you could easily make your own.
  • Draw/color a representation from each day of creation. This lesson could be spread out over the week, doing one day of creation each day of the week. The child’s creations (sheets) could then be used in conjunction with singing the Days of Creation song. You could also hang each sheet up on the wall, bulletin board, etc., and review each day prior to learning about the next day of creation.

This is only part 1 in the lessons I plan to do based on Genesis 1-2. The second lesson will be focused on “God Created Me!”

For a list of all the Hiding the Word in Their Hearts Lessons, click here.