Friday, February 18, 2011

Be Careful What You Say

People often talk about the need to be careful about what you say around kids because they'll repeat you - good or bad. Even though Ella is barely two years old, I've already noticed how much she repeats what we say. In fact, I've caught some phrases that I say often that I didn't realize I even used. I've even noticed that she repeats the tone and manner in which I say something. It has been eye-opening at times to the fact that I don't always use the right attitude in my speech.

110214-IMG_9926-2.jpg

Truly, though, I need to be careful with what I say all the time. Not only because my two year old might repeat it, but because there is a higher standard.  Consider Proverbs 15:3: “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.” God is always knowledgeable of the speech we use even when others may not be.

What type speech should I use?

The speech of the worthy woman in Proverbs 31 is commended: “She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness.” (Proverbs 31:26)

Writing to the Colossians, Paul instructs: “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.” (Colossians 4:6)

Consider a few passages from Proverbs (there are many others):

Proverbs 10:20: “The tongue of the righteous is choice silver; The heart of the wicked is worth little.”

Proverbs 10:31: “The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, But the perverse tongue will be cut out.”

Proverbs 15:2: “The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness”

Proverbs 21:23: “Whoever guards his mouth and tongue Keeps his soul from troubles.”

Our tongue is a powerful tool – for good or evil. We must guard the words we use!