Friday, June 11, 2010

Proverbs 31:13-15

I know, I know . . .I'm WAY behind on my posts going through Proverbs 31. But I'm catching up now! I've been doing a lot of study on these passages, but I haven't had much of an opportunity to actually blog about my study. I'm thankful I have some time now. These posts are part of a discussion that Kristen started on her blog, Bringing Up Benjamin.
Far Above Rubies
Proverbs 31:13-15: "She seeks wool and flax, and willingly works with her hands. She is like the merchant ships,  she brings her food from afar. She also rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household, and a portion for her maidservants."


I've read this passage several times, and the quality that is immediately evident from these verses is that the woman of Proverbs 31 is a very hard worker. She's a hard worker whose purpose is not selfish; rather, she is working hard to provide for those around her. When we look to women in our world today, many are hard workers; however, their hard work often seems misguided and selfish, not focusing on things that are really important.

However, beyond the concept of hard work, as I considered these verses further, the word willingly stood out to me. The woman of Proverbs 31 is not only a hard worker, she works willingly. Dictionary.com defines willingly as "disposed or consenting", or "cheerfully consenting and ready". I see her as a woman who has the proper attitude about the work she is doing. I know that there are many times in my life that I may be working hard, but not willingly, and I'm truly lacking the proper attitude. I want and need to have a better attitude about any work that I'm doing.