Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Battling the Theory of Evolution

After a long absence of real posts, I hope I'm finally getting back into a good blogging routine. Things have been crazy, and I'll probably talk about those things at some point, but not now! :)

I'm constantly considering the world that Ella is growing up in. I often consider how things in the world will affect the type of individual she grows up to be. I want to do my best to bring her up in the Lord, and I must be aware of things that can positively as well as negatively affect my mission.

One such challenge facing Christian parents is the battle against the theory of evolution. There are many in the world today who teach that the earth and all those who dwell therein are simply here by chance . However, Genesis 1 clearly states that God created the heavens and the earth in six days. Also, consider Genesis 2:1: "Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished." The theory of evolution just does not line up with the teaching of the Bible.


While Christian parents fully expect to battle this teaching within science classrooms, they would be naive to think that is the only place this battle is taking place. The teaching of evolution is embedded in the world all around us, in nearly every discipline, even in places where we might not expect it. I'm constantly amazed and saddened to see how this doctrine has crept in everywhere.


This topic recently came to my attention because of the new show on the Discovery channel, Life. Life documents the organisms of earth, ranging from plants to insects to marine organisms. The images of the show are incredible and absolutely beautiful to watch. Our God created an amazing planet! However, the commentary behind the images (narrated by Oprah Winfrey) is dripping with evolutionary teaching.  Sadly, most shows like this one are filled with references to evolution.

In case you don't know, I thoroughly enjoy science, and I am far from "anti-science" as it seems some scientists claim Christians to be. In fact, I am a scientist. My undergraduate degree is in Biochemistry, and I'm currently working on my masters degree in Biology. I have great respect for science, and the purpose behind this post was not to put science down. Rather, my point is simply the following: there are snares all around us in the world, trying to pull us away from Christ and the teaching of the Bible. Evolution is one of those snares, and we must be aware of its dangers so that we are not trapped by it, and can raise our children to stand strong against it!

There are many resources out there for Christians regarding this subject. I especially like Apologetics Press, as it is a wealth of information.