Thursday, January 14, 2010

Instilling Qualities in My Children

Good parenting doesn't happen by accident. I haven't even been a parent for a year yet (although, almost!), and I know that parenting is hard work that requires a variety of skills and emotions, that should be guided through prayer and meditation on God's Word.

I realize that there is no way I can completely prepare myself for what lies ahead in my journey as a parent. However, I also realize that I should prepare myself as much as I possible in order to equip Ella with the qualities, skills, and experiences she needs to live a successful life: both spiritually and physically.

I often think about the type of person I hope Ella will grow up to be. There are many qualities I want her to exhibit, as well as qualities I hope she doesn't possess. I think one of the main keys in instilling these qualities in her is to first identify these qualities. After I've identified these qualities, I must then examine myself. If I don't exhibit these qualities, how can I expect her to exhibit them? Finally, I'll have to figure out ways to teach her about these qualities - sometimes this will be an easy task, and sometimes I know it will be difficult!

Over the next few months, I plan to blog about some of the different qualities I want to instill in Ella. I already have a few of these qualities in my mind, but I know as I contemplate this longer I'll think of even more qualities. I know that by truly considering these qualities I'll be growing personally, as well as preparing myself to be a better parent to Ella.

What qualities do you hope to instill in your children?