Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Goals

For the past few years, I’ve made a point to write out specific goals at the start of the year. Although I often fall short of these goals, I find that it is very helpful to me personally to write these goals out. In particular, it helps me to be aware of ares in my life that I know I need improvement. Many goals are the same as in the past years; some because I didn’t complete them and others because they ought to continually be on the list.


Spiritual Goals:
  • Daily Bible Reading
  • Focused/Planned Bible Study
  • Focused Bible lessons for the kids. We've been doing a lot of review over their Bible class material during our devotional time, but I want to incorporate more specific Bible lessons. (It would actually be good for me to write out some specific goals of what I'd like the kids to learn over the year. . .)
  • Continue using the Scripture Memory System with the kids (and me!). We've been diligently working with this system since I started homeschooling Ella in September, and it has been a great blessing for us.
  • Develop a deeper and more specific prayer life.
  • Make an effort to be aware of others’ needs, as well as how to help those in need.
  • Make an effort to encourage brothers and sisters in Christ.
  • Always be ready and eager to share the gospel.
  • Maintain and exhibit an attitude of joy that should be evident in my life because I am hidden with Christ (Col. 3:1-4).
House Goals:
  • Get the house organized, and purged of excess junk at the beginning of the year. This feels like a never-ending goal, but it is good to get a big purge done at the beginning of the year, especially after filling the house back up with Christmas presents. : )
  • Clean out, organize, and get the kids' rooms set up. We are in the process of moving Ella and Troy into one room (Luke and Troy had been sharing a room, but with sleeping schedules (especially that of a toddler), we've decided it will be better for Ella and Troy to share a room now)).
  • Teach (and enforce) good habits to the kids for keeping their areas picked up. This was a goal that I had last year, and the kids definitely follow my lead on this (which means I need to LEAD). If I do a good job reminding them (as well as enforcing), they do a pretty good job at keeping things picked up, but it is easy to let things go.
  • Keep up with Flylady’s daily assignments to help keep the house in a manageable state. 
  • Handle papers (mail, or otherwise) when they come into the home, rather than just piling them up to handle later.
  • Get one “house” project done each month (paint the front door, repair the floor, etc.)
  • This isn’t technically a “house” goal, but it fits here best: Keep our cars clear of junk and trash.
Health Goals:
  • Get back into a regular cardio routine even if it just means pushing the stroller around the block.
  • Gain strength and endurance.
  • Continue healthy eating. It took almost all of 2014 for me to get into a healthy eating habit, but I did pretty good for the last two months of 2014 (I actually weigh less now than I did at the beginning of November, which is a big deal to me when you consider all the eating that normally takes place in November and December!).
Family goals:
  • Eat at home more often.
  • Cook dinner with the kids 1-2 times a month. I really want to involve them more in cooking, but I get stuck in this bad habit of not involving them because it is quicker/easier for me to do things myself (and dinner time always seems to be hectic around our house).
  • Try out a new meal at least once a month.
  • Cook a hot breakfast for the family at least once a week.
  • Stick to our budget, and look for ways to save more.
  • Emphasize the concept of respect with Ella and Troy.
  • Encourage Ella and Troy to have the heart of a servant.
  • Encourage Ella and Troy to be thankful.
  • Foster a good relationship between the kids (teaching them about sharing, patience, kindness, etc.)
  • Give Ella and Troy more responsibilities around the house (chores, etc.) 
  • Get outside more with the kids.
  • Get down on the floor and play with the kids more.
Photography goals:
  • Learn more about off-camera flash.
  • Learn more about Adobe Photoshop.
  • Learn more about graphic design.
Other goals:
  • Become fluent in Spanish.
  • Exhibit more patience towards everyone, but especially my husband and children.
  • Work on time management, including getting up at a more consistent time in the morning, and going to bed earlier in the evening.
  • Finish reading Bringing Up Girls and Bringing Up Boys.
  • Re-read Your Mama Don’t Dance.
  • Continue reading A Well-Trained Mind.
  • Read Home Education.
  • Continue working on Ella's homeschool (figuring out what to do next, considering what things have worked/not worked, etc.)