Monday, July 23, 2012

Homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream

I admit it. Although there are things I like about summer, summer isn’t my favorite time of year. I’m not big on the heat, but one thing that I do love about summer is that it is the perfect time of year for homemade ice cream. I have fond memories growing up when our family would make homemade ice cream. There is nothing like a good creamy, freshly churned bowl of ice cream in the summer.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos of the actual ice cream because it is already gone. But, I will share my recipe for homemade cinnamon ice cream. This recipe is a modified version of the country style vanilla recipe my mom and dad passed down to me.

photo

Ingredients (Note, this recipe is for a 4-quart ice cream maker):

4 eggs

4 cups whipping cream

2 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cinnamon extract

2-3 teaspoons cinnamon

Approximately 5 cups milk

Directions:

Beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until thickened. Add whipping cream, salt, vanilla, cinnamon extract, and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.  Pour mixture into ice cream maker drum. Add milk until the fill line is reached. Freeze ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s directions. If your ice cream is not freezing properly, the texture may come out icy or slushy rather than creamy. And, although you can certainly eat the ice cream right away, it freezes better if you let it freeze for several hours (or overnight) before serving.